Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pain in the Butt

So, for the last nine months I have been dealing with a major pain in my butt, literally. In December I sustained an injury while at work and I've been trying to heal ever since. I started with physical therapy which helped to a point, but then my pain plateaued and I was sent to a chiropractor. He helped a lot, and in April it seemed as if things were back to normal. But in mid July I had a relapse, pain causing me to awake several times a night to take pain meds. I was sent to a physiatrist (it took over a month and a half to actually see him) who suggested epidural steroid injections (ESI). I had had them before for a previous injury with almost instant relief, so I consented. It took another two weeks before I could get the first injection. I was hoping for results similar to my previous experience with ESI, but no such luck. My pain actually got worse and has stayed worse. I am waiting for the physiatist's billing department and the worker's compensation insurance to negotiate a price for a second injection that will cover more epidural space in hopes that it will help. If not I get to look forward to a wonderful procedure called electromyography, EMG, where they will stick solid metal needles into my muscles near the nerves that run through them and see what they do when they are electrically shocked by reading the sound waves they produce when voltage is applied. Yahoo!!! Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I just found your blog and I don't believe it was by accident. I was in a car accident a little over a year ago. I did the PT thing and as soon as I stopped the extreme pain came right back. I then found a D.O. who specializes in Osteo Manipulative Medicine. I'm so much better!!! My sister had a similar experience a few years back that's how I knew to try this method. My husband also had a golfing injury where he was in extreme muscular pain. He went twice and the pain disappeared. I just wanted to share this bit of information because I heard my frustration mirrored in your post and wanted to share what helped me. You can see if a doctor is in your area by going to http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm I hope you feel better soon. Love the name of your blog. Melinda B